Tuesday, November 1, 2011

and another literary prize longlist is announced! The Man Asian Literary Prize

shortlist: January 10
winner: March 15

The Man Asian Literary Prize longlist has been announced -- I've been not so patiently waiting for this one! Here's the list:

The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad
The Good Muslim by Tahmima Anam
Rebirth by Jahnavi Barua
The Sly Company of People Who Care by Rahul Bhattacharya
The Colonel by Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy
Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin
The Valley of Masks by Tarun J. Tejpal
Dream of Ding Village by Yan Lianke
The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto

I am very happy to notice that Yan Lianke's Dream of Ding Village is on this list.  It is one of my favorite books for the year, and although the subject matter is a bit tough, it's a wonderful novel.  So now I must ask myself whether I want to read the whole list or just wait until January and read the shortlisted ones...hmm. A quandary indeed.

Not that they'll read this, but congratulations to all of these people for making the Man Asian longlist!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the long list. I am waiting to listen to the audio of River of Smoke and am now reading 1Q84. I've also read the heart breaking Please Take Care of Mom. I wish them all luck with the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Harvee. Looks like a great list! I think I'm going to reread Sea of Poppies before I tackle River of Smoke because I hardly remember it. 1Q84 is waiting for me when I get home, so I'll read a couple of others before I get started on that one. So many books....

    ReplyDelete

I don't care what you say about what I write, but do be nice. Thanks!