Friday, November 11, 2011

about That Deadman Dance, by Kim Scott

I just finished this novel, and it dawned on me that since it was sent to me as an Advance Reader's Copy, I probably should hold out on a review until it's published here in the U.S., probably in March.  I know it's already out elsewhere, but it just seems right under the circumstances to leave it for a while and then come back later.

In the meantime, I'll just say that the book deals with the interplay of cultures in the early days of Australia's settlement, and despite the fact that several novels have dealt with this topic in the past, Kim Scott brings something rather new to the table here.   I liked it, most especially because a) it seems to be a very different take on a subject which has been covered in fiction by several authors, and b) Kim Scott is definitely a good writer, one I'll be returning to in the future.

In the meantime, if anyone in the U.S. would like this advanced reader's copy,  it's yours for the price of a comment with contact info after this post.

4 comments:

  1. I was so excited about this book that I bought a copy from Australia. I have just started reading it, but now I can't decide whether to post my review now or when it is released in the UK. I guess I'll wait and see what I think when I've finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had bought my copy from Australia, I would have posted the review, but since it was an ARC, I'm not quite sure. I'm even considering writing the publisher and asking to post a review. It's such a good book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say just go for it! Post your comment, the book has been released. I would love to read this book.

    I haven't read anything else by this author although i did note his last book was 11 years ago.

    Have you read "Sarah Thornhill" by Kate Grenville?
    another great Australian writer. Kate writes also of early Australian history and weaves a wonderful story line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bronwyn,
    Thanks for your comment, and yes, I probably will be posting a review shortly. I mean, it will be positive, so why should be the publishers worry? I would think that if someone writes a positive review about a novel before it's released, the publisher would be happy.

    I'm a Kate Grenville fan, but haven't read Sarah Thornhill, so thanks for telling me about it!

    ReplyDelete

I don't care what you say about what I write, but do be nice. Thanks!