Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May Reading Roundup

It's the end of the month yet again, and time to post the reading roundup.  It's been a weird month, considering I was gone right through the heart of it. Then of course, having to adjust back to east coast time was a killer.  Yesterday it was our turn to host our neighborhood Memorial Day barbeque (meaning a 2-day cookfest prior to)  and my sister came to visit.  Now it's quiet again and I have time to get back to posting.  So let's begin:

This month I focused on reading down the TBR pile, and it was a good month.  Although I haven't been able to post (my reviews will be coming shortly now that I have some breathing space again) as often as I would like to, that doesn't mean that I didn't get a chance to read.  Here's the lineup:

Translated Fiction:
 Visitation, by Jenny Erpenbeck
Kamchatka, by Marcelo Figueras
The Darkroom of Damocles, by Willem Frederik Hermans
Train to Budapest, by Dacia Maraini
The Informers, by Juan Gabriel Vasquez

General Fiction:
Matterhorn, by Karl Marlantes

Scandinavian Crime Fiction:
Red April, by Santiago Roncagliolo
The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo
The Leopard, by Jo Nesbo

Italian Crime Fiction:

The Whisperer, by Donato Carissi
The Terra-Cotta Dog, by Andrea Camilleri
The Snack Thief, by Andrea Camilleri



Spanish Crime Fiction:
Death on a Galician Shore, by Domingo Villar

I think that covers it, for a total of 13 books; not too bad.

other book related stuff:
1) My book group this month read The Long Song, by Andrea Levy-- which we all agreed that we liked.

2) Added to the Amazon Wishlist this month
That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana, by Carlo Emilio Gadda
Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age, by Bohumil Hrabal

3) Books bought this month
Anatomy of a Disappearance, by Hisham Matar
River of Shadows, by Valerio Valesi


4) I left the ARCs I intended to take on the cruise at home, so it's go time for them starting today.

I hate that my month was so chopped I couldn't get online much, but I'll remedy that starting tomorrow.  So that's it -- happy reading to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't care what you say about what I write, but do be nice. Thanks!