Saturday, April 30, 2011

April Reading Roundup

Warm weather has once again come to South Florida, and that means one thing at my house. Time in the pool, which tends to detract from my reading time. Memo to self: must replace pool chair so I can do both at the same time. But overall, April wasn't so bad.  Here's how it shakes out:

Books set in Antarctica:
Cold Skin, by Albert Sanchez Piňol
Victim of the Aurora, by Thomas Keneally (which also adds another book to the 2011 Aussie Author Challenge)
Pym, by Mat Johnson

General Fiction

The Civilized World, by Susi Wyss

Scandinavian Crime Fiction
The Troubled Man, by Henning Mankell
Frozen Assets, by Quentin Bates

  Crime fiction from Mexico
The Black Minutes, by Martin Solares


other book related stuff:
1) My book group this month read Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert -- which we all liked, but which sent us into a debate about why Emma behaved so very badly. 

2) Added to the Amazon Wishlist this month -- absolutely nothing! That's got to be a first.

3) Books bought this month (lots of Indie Publishers) 


The Shadow of What We Were, by Luis Sepulveda -- Europa Editions
The Hypnotist, by Lars Kepler 
The Collaborators, by Pierre Siniac -- Dalkey Archive Press
First Fingerprint, by Xavier Bonnot -- Quercus
A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan
Train to Budapest, by Dacia Maraini -- Arcadia Books (currently reading)
I May be Some Time, by Francis Spufford
I Kill, by Giorgio Faletti
Agaat, by Marlene Van Niekerk -- Tin House Books
Hocus Bogus, by Romain Gary -- Margellos World Republic of Letters



I think that covers my month. I'm rearranging all of my bookshelves and starting to question why I'm hanging on to so many books I'll probably never read again.  I see another round of book purge in my immediate future -- I already have a huge shopping bag earmarked for my local library.


so that's it...happy reading to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't care what you say about what I write, but do be nice. Thanks!