Sunday, June 2, 2013

June: So much for the tbr challenge: books written this year




With the best of intentions, every year I take up someone's Mount TBR reading challenge and every year I  fail because I get tend to get caught up in what's newly released.  This year looks like more of the same, but I've finally decided I'm not going to stress over it.

This month I'm mostly exploring books that have been written in 2013, with maybe a few exceptions to ease my conscience and to have something to post for my involvement in the TBR challenge.  I don't have a set-in-stone list of books, but I'm considering the following:
  • A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, by Anthony Marra:  this month's Powell's Indiespensable choice as well as the Book Passage Signed First Editions Club choice -- so you can bet at the end of the month this book will be on the book giveaway list)
  • Aftermath, by Rhidian Brook:  a highly-rated novel found while perusing some UK readers' Goodreads shelves for ideas
  • Ghana Must Go, by Tanye Selasi:  another Book Passage Signed First Editions Club choice (this one may also be on the giveaway list since I have two copies)
  •   21:37, by Mariusz Czubaj:  I LOVE Polish crime fiction and according to the back-cover blurb, the action in this book  pushes the protagonist "into the darkest regions of the human soul," definitely my kind of novel 
  • The Panopticon, by Jenni Fagan:  a bonus book (ARC) included with this month's Indiespensable goodies
  • Black Star Nairobi, by Mukuma Wa Ngugi: the second and brand spankin' new installment in a crime-fiction series published by Melville House (part of their June celebration of International Crime Month).  
  • TransAtlantic,  by Colum McCann:  I just couldn't pass this one up after Let the Great World Spin, which I really liked
  • Betrayal, by Giorgio Scerbanenko: His A Private Venus was an amazing first-in-series crime fiction novel so obviously I have to read the second
  • The Professor of Truth, by James Robertson:  Another I found perusing reader shelves
  • The Killing of Emma Gross, by Damien Seaman: I am utterly fascinated with Germany's Weimar period in which this book is set, so I have to give this one a try.
I'll probably not be able to read all of these but I'll definitely give it a try, and I'll be adding my casual-reader thoughts on Patrick McGrath's Constance,  Thomas Keneally's The Daughters of Mars, and in the crime zone, Fuminori Nakamura's newest book, Evil and the Mask.

okay -- gotta fly

 

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to your comments on Constellation. And Black Star Nairobi looks intriguing...Gotta love those new releases. Transatlantic is next for me.

    ReplyDelete

I don't care what you say about what I write, but do be nice. Thanks!